Thursday, September 23, 2004

Almost Finished

I'm down to the last chapter of "In the Time of the Butterflies" by Julia Alvarez. Because of all the book events in the city, I wanted to read this before October. Here are some of my favorite lines from the book.

"Dios mio, has everyone in this country been reading my mail except me?" (Minerva)

"Besides, I didn't want to take up time I could be hearing about my precious. She's got two new teeth, and has learned to say, Free Mama, Free Papa, every time she passes Trujillo's picture in the entryway." (Maria Teresa about her daughter Jacqui)

It has been so long since I read a book that wasn't medicine related. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed reading. Every since med school, reading was something forced upon me. Medical books aren't always as captivating as the book I'm reading now. They can be pretty monstrous in size as well (example: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine). Much of the time those books would put me to sleep.

2 comments:

Aleksu said...

Argh!

I hate myself for not reading more books.

I could blame the internet, but that is the easy way out, it is me me me and my lack of discipline.

But I did see the movie, I am glad that Salma decided to lend some star power to this little known story of totalitarian excess.

Anonymous said...

My husband is not a fiction reader, he would prefer that internal medicine book--believe me. So I'm always glad when we can watch a movie to a book that I have already read. He really hated Edward James Olmos aka Trujillo when this movie was over.