Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Desperation

In honor of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, I share this fitting poem.

Desperation

Thank you for showing me
how stupid I am.
Thank you for telling me

how worthless I am.
Without you, I wouldn't be able to do this.
Without you, I couldn't say goodbye
to all that I love.

Your words made me cradle this object.
This object... I never knew

would look so appealing
and so friendly.

One word and I was able

to convince myself
to hold it.
One word and I was pushed

to load it.
Another word and the closer it got

to my head.
The last word of hatred I heard from you
was enough to pull the trigger.

Now, I don't hear you anymore,
How peaceful the silence that surrounds me.

Waves of sadness

still wash over me,
as I wished
I had brighter alternatives.

by dr.vodka

2 comments:

Aleksu said...

"Women's only flaw is that they often forget how valuable they are"

guiam said...

dr. vodka, very appropriate poem. i couldn't agree more w/ you, mr. blex. it's especially tough for latina women--look at novela heroines, for example. the typical protagonist is the "madre sufrida," woe-is-me, beautiful and helpless, selfless dumbass. fortunately, a few hard-core bitches are still out there for us to admire.