Monday, May 09, 2005

No Writing in Airports

Found myself "jetsetting" this passed weekend. It had been such a long time since I've experienced the long lines at security checkpoints. How I missed the following airport ritual: removing all metal objects from my pockets, taking off my shoes & jacket to place on the conveyor belt, and worrying there would still be too much metal in my bra & hairclip to set off the alarm......NOT!

I thought that I might do some writing during my hours of waiting at the airport, but it wasn't the case. There's no privacy at airports. No special little place that's hidden from the madness - the crowds. That's what airports need - some cozy reading spots. There's always someone peeking over your shoulder, hovering near you, or breathing down your neck. One good thing about the time spent waiting and flying was that I finally (FINALLY) finished the book "Lullaby". I've been checking this book out over and over.....and over. The local librarians must be wondering when I was finally going to finish it. YES! The deed is done. Boy, was that a great book.....makes you think....very graphic in certain parts.....certain violent parts.....fantastic writing.

Another highlight from the trip was discovering a new musical act....Tegan and Sara. On some cable channel, the documentary of their recording process for the album "So Jealous" was on. Instantly, I was grabbed by their sound...their voices. Click on the link to take a listen. They are touring with another favorite band - The Killers.


5 comments:

Matt said...

I haven't read anything by Chuck Palahniuk, but his book, Fight Club inspired one of my favorite movies. I'll have to keep this author in mind for future reading.

Anonymous said...

i understand the need for privacy (when in public)so you could write and have no one look over your shoulder. i get a little paranoid. that is why i read instead.

Aleksu said...

Now I'm gonna have to look into that book and that band.

I'm not looking forward to flying in July, it is just so hectic now a days.

dr.v (Not a narcotic Pez dispenser) said...

Matt, "fight club" is one of my fav films....that's why i wanted to read Chuck's other books. One down and several more to go.

dr.v (Not a narcotic Pez dispenser) said...

Blex, with all the new security procedures since 9/11, observing the new rituals and behaviors lead to some laughs too....like seeing a dad carrying his child while his wife/significant other take off his shoes prior to walking thru the metal detector.