Monday, June 09, 2008

Negotiation

So he asks me, casually, like he was asking me for the time

"Can you give me some vicodin?"

"NOooooo!" I think to myself ......but I actually say "What? huh?"

"Can I have some vicodin? I get these aches." He proceeds to tell me how he had some old vicodin at home or was it that a neighbor gave him some old vicodin? Or did his neighbor steal his vicodin? Either way, he tried the stuff and wow....... "It really relaxed me."

"No shit it relaxed you" I think to myself.

"So can I have some?" he inquired again

"Wait a minute. What kind of pain are you having? Where is the pain?"

I find out it's more musculoskeletal strain/aches. That kind of pain I rather not treat with vicodin. Sorry Sir. I can give you some high dose Ibuprofen and some Flexeril which will help those aches AND not make you addicted to some narcotic.

I am not a narcotic pez dispenser!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

lol. but what if your patient had an ear ache that got worse at night, about 3 in the morning to be exact. :) that was the time i save my perscribed vicodin for.