Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Sun-Times

My mom had a surprise for me today.   This morning the paper was already laid out to a particular page.   There it was - my name in print and my letter  to the editor.   I was published in the Chicago Sun-Times!  It was just my letter in response to an article that appeared last Sunday.   It wasn't just an ordinary article - it touch me deeply.  That afternoon, I thought about the young lady and her struggle.  So I decided, what the heck, I'll email my thoughts to the Sun-Times.   Most of the time when minorities are in the news, it is for something negative such as murder, drugs, and academic failures.   It was refreshing to see a positive piece on a young minority female. Here's my letter:  

NU student shows courage
I must congratulate the Sun-Times for running the piece on Robin Cox's transition from Englewood to Northwestern University [''Robin's story: A lesson in survival,'' metro story, July 18]. Being a Latina who grew up in the Back of the Yards, I can relate to Robin's story. The article features some of the problems minority youth have in achieving success, which can include poor social support, violence in the neighborhood and financial problems. Many schools in the poorer areas of Chicago don't have the best resources, which hinders the foundation that is critical to college success. One of the reasons why Robin struggled initially at Northwestern was the poor preparation she received while in high school. Like Robin, I was lucky to have teachers who recognized my potential and opened my mind to possibilities I would have never considered.
However, I was fortunate to have loving parents who supported me emotionally and mentally through college and medical school. My journey hasn't always been easy, but I know it would have been more difficult without their encouragement. Robin felt like a failure several times during her first year at college. She is not a failure in my eyes. She is a courageous, intelligent young lady who I'm extremely proud of even though I don't know her. She will succeed as long as she continues to believe in herself and surrounds herself with people who care about her.
She truly is an inspiration to minorities.
YC, M.D.,
New City  
  
    
But then I saw this letter:

Why is she getting free ride?
I may be criticized for writing this letter but I have to ask: Why is this woman, who appears to be at best an average student, at one of the most expensive universities in America, Northwestern, getting a free ride? And they are giving her spending money, too? If I were a parent who was paying $42,000 a year out of my own pocket, I would be outraged.
E. Harris, Peru   


     First of all, scholarships are not all based on academics.   There are still some grants students can qualify for based on their family's annual income.    Luckily these exist because youth from lower income families would NEVER be able to afford to attend college.   Because you are poor, you are not worthy of an education?!   My parents did not make $100,000 per year like many of the professional parents of those that attend schools like Northwestern.  They would have never been able to send 3 children to college.  
     This young lady was an excellent student at her high school so her academic record probably qualified her for some of the scholarships she received.  Furthermore,  other average students get other types of scholarships.   Some students get a free ride because they get athletic scholarships.  From what I remember from the article, she actually had a change in her financial situation which forced her to find a job later in the year.  She also moved out of the dorms to an apartment in Edgewater (although not solely for money reasons).  Nevertheless, it is expensive to live in the dorms.  Along with tuition, room and board costs are also rising.  My siblings and I found it less expensive to live in an off campus apartment and buy our own groceries.   
     Even if she has a "free ride" this year.  It doesn't guarantee it for the following 3 years.   I had a chance to go to NU for undergrad.    For several reasons, I chose another Chicago school but one of them was the financial package I would have received.    The plan for the first year would have consisted of scholarships, grants,  AND loans.   Some of the scholarships were only guaranteed for the first year.    Who knew what the financial package would look it in the following years?   I didn't want to take the risk of falling in MAJOR debt with loans.   Being from a low income family, any debt more than $1,000 is very frightening. 
     Yes, she struggled academically during her first year in college.   It wasn't because she was a bad student or just average.   She has other emotional/mental issues that she is finally dealing with.   When someone is depressed or is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, it prevents that person from performing at 100%.   I can see how this along with the transition from Englewood to college freshman at Northwestern wasn't a smooth process.   I hope NU doesn't give up on her.   It is easy to say - you ain't cutting it kid so you can't stay.  Give her a chance -she already started with 2 strikes against her.






1 comment:

Diana said...

It's not even 6 a.m. and I'm agitated. Rich folks who can afford to send their kids to school drive me nut or folks that are just too stupid to get it. Universities and Colleges are a business more concerned with the bottom-line than education. They cater to those that can shell out cash or take out a thousand loans. I worry about the growing Latino population because we can barely make it out of high school and those who do, take one look at the price tag on education and run the other way. In short education needs to be affordable for everyone not just the rich folks or morans like Peru E. Harris who probably didn't come from a lower-income neighborhood and probably had their tuition paid in full by mom & dad.

Side note: Can you put the correct time on your blog.
Throws me off. Sorry...