Sunday, December 12, 2004

"It's good for the soul"

This NEA project "Operation Homecoming" excites me. The soldiers in Iraq were asked to write to about their experiences for "Operation Homecoming." This collection will be published in 2006. War stories have always drawn my attention. Some of my favorite parts of history class was studying World War I & World War II. Although we wish we can prevent war, when it does happen, it showcases how ordinary people prevail in the hardest conditions. War affects everyone; it goes beyond the battlefields and the soldiers.

I am also fascinating by artwork produced by soldiers. The National Vietnam Veterans Art Museum in Chicago is a gem that I still need to explore. For a long time, this country has ignored its Vietnam veterans and their stories. Now they, at least, have this public space to unleash their voices.

No comments: