Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Another Holocaust

When I saw the word "holocaust", it grabbed my attention. It was next to a photograph where people were wearing T-shirts with the words "HIV positive". Never thought of AIDS as a holocaust until I saw that photo and the accompanying quote. The Chicago Cultural Center is hosting the exhibit. It is a must see exhibition because it addresses AIDS as a global issue.

Most of the time, we focus on "us" and disregard other's struggles. We don't help, because "that's not OUR problem". An example of this is the devastation AIDS is causing worldwide (places like Africa - where generations are being wiped out & thousands of children are made orphans).

The AIDS exhibit I saw yesterday made me sad and anger because there is still a large portion of people who don't care. These include people in government, drug companies, etc. AIDS is a horrible disease because of what it does to your body and in addition you are viewed/treated as an outcast in the majority of the world. You are an outcast because you are gay, you used drugs, you had sex (doesn't matter w/ what gender). This is one illness where people truly die alone and without support. It seems unfair to me because who are we to judge who is "worthy". I get anger and want to do something. Because of my work, I can bring awareness of the problem. Thru my own art, I can reach a different audience via a different medium. Many people in America don't realize the impact AIDS is having in the world. Many don't care because it isn't America; it isn't their immediate family. For better or worse, I care.

It is weird how things come together in your life. This week I saw a new patient who was already diagnosed with HIV. Luckily, I finally had the time to see the AIDS exhibit. My stream of consciousness touched on some of the thoughts swirling in my mind. There will be more words to come from this experience.

Somber stuff.....but someone has to think about...I know I'm not the only one. The artists from the AIDS exhibit are thinking about it & were profoundly affected by it. Their work is making others think (I hope).


4 comments:

Mariposatomica said...

It's that me, me, me attitude that keeps us from helping others. That's what I love about art you can use it as a platform to bring social awareness.

Aleksu said...

People just don't understand the nature of the disease. It can reach any of us at any time.

Yes, you can take care of yourself, but there is way too many variables to be able to control anything.

Awareness is sorely needed.

Ron Hudson said...

Thank you for caring and speaking out. I have been living with HIV for 20+ years and am trying to bring attention to the issue of World AIDS by observing World AIDS Day, by writing a yearly newsletter, by penning poetry about my life and by participating in a new film called 2sides2everything from the makers of 1 Giant Leap. You can read about their project at www.1giantleap.tv. The new film will be out near the end of 2006.

There are 42 million people in the world who are infected with HIV. Twenty-nine million people have died since 1981. Part of the answer is complete education about transmission/prevention and the use of condoms.

dr.v (Not a narcotic Pez dispenser) said...

I look forward to seeing the film. I think it's wonderful that you are able to speak up and give your perspective.
People definitely need to hear it.